I think this might be my faaav! And like many others, so easy to make.
I used a special type of ribbon. It's called seam binding ribbon. It's lighter, matte and has a nicer sheen than grosgrain or satin ribbon. It works great with these types of embellishments. I bought mine for only 10 cents a yard.
This technique is also great for tee shirt and sweater embellishment. And makes a lovely hair piece. Hot glue several to a headband for a fancy Valentine's look.
1. Cut a piece of yarn about 4" long and lay on top of a fork.
2. Take 3 yards of seam binding ribbon and wrap around fork. Important: do this in a sloppy way. Let the ribbon twist and lay in different directions as you wrap. If you don't it will come out flat.
3. Take your yarn and tie a knot. Not a double one. Hold in place.
4. While you are holding the knot in place, cut all the ribbon on the fork from bottom to top.
5. Now tie a very tight double knot with the yarn.
6. Spray with no fray spray. This type of ribbon is very prone to fray. I would not recommend trying to get away without using some.
7. Cut an oval piece of felt.
8. Glue pompoms to felt. Then glue two clips to bottom of felt.