By request, I searched for a refashion frock at the Salvation Army last week. The survey I conducted a month ago indicated that many of you would like to see more refashion frocks. I have to admit, I like these because often they are less work.
Around New Year's I had been seeing many party dresses with tulle on the outside of the skirt rather than underneath and wanted to recreate something like that.
When I looked through the Salvation Army racks I searched for a dress with a little glamour in the fabric, something the said "party". I came across the dress (at bottom).
The material was a shimmery silver but the cut of the dress was hideous. Perfect for refashioning. It was a matronly faux two piece with no form except for the two spaghetti straps on the sides which pulled the waist to fit the person wearing it.
I bought it for $1.50 and took it home to think it over. I definitely wanted to try and go for the topside tulle look. So I went to the fabric store and bought 3 yards of gray tulle for only 30 cents a yard. What I loved about the tulle I bought was that I didn't even need to cut it. The length and width were already the perfect size I needed. All I need to do was gather it.
I laid the dress on floor and stared at it for some time. The skirt was so straight that it was very difficult to get an a-line out of it despite the fact that it was quite large.
I cut the top piece away from the bottom and then cut the bottom into two side-by-side triangles that made a rectangle using as much of the skirt material as possible.
I then pinned the pieces to my dress form but still came up a little short of an a-line on either side. So I cut out two more smaller triangles from my leftover skirt and filled in the gaps to make a perfect a-line.
I then sewed the gathered tulle to the skirt and the combination of those two pieces to the waistband. I had to take the top in on the sides. After I did that I sewed the top of the waistband to the bodice.
Finally I cut a ballerina neckline into the top and hemmed the skirt and sewed in a zipper. VOILA! A new dress!! Chan looks ready for a New Year's Eve Soiree.
I really liked how the tulle filled out the look of the skirt. I wanted a full a-line. The skirt underneath was not quite as full as I would have liked but with the overlaying tulle the look was exactly what I was going for.
All together I spent $2.50 on this dress. Not bad. See a similar one on Modcloth here.
Since I had little material to work with I'd say this dress would fit a size 2-5. Quite skinny.
Many of you said that you would like to enter more giveaways, but have various issues with linking. Of course, I want anyone that is interested in entering a giveaway to be able to do so.
Therefore, from now on, giveaways can be entered in three ways:
1) By linking (to your blog, facebook, myspace, or any other site)
2) By leaving a comment without a link or
3) By linking and leaving a comment (this will be worth 2 entries which will better your chances of winning). Find more info under the FAQ page.
If you are leaving a link just use the 'create a link' at the bottom of this post or simply creating a post on your blog and including this link.
If you use blogger just use the "create a link" link at the bottom of this post. If you don't use blogger, that's fine too. Just create a link on your page as you normally would and I will see it using Technorati.
Create a Link